Somerlus Beach Cottage
What You Get
A Self Catering wooden Beach Cottage — with the beach right across the street!
It sleeps 6 comfortably, 8 at a bit of a stretch, bedding supplied.
Bring own toweling and toiletries please.
About 12 kilometers to the east of Riversdale, take the Stilbaai turn-off from the N2. 26km will bring you to the bridge connecting Stilbaai East to Stilbaai West. Turn right across the bridge and carry on with Main Rd West, past the sports grounds on the right. Turn left into Steyn Street a block and a half further on. Turn right into Skuitpad Rd at the lower end of Steyn. We are number 25, just past the parking area on the seaside. (Map)
A peek into it’s past:
The Cottage was built in the late 1800s as a summer retreat. The original cottage, (in part still present as the core of the building) was built using 30cm wide yellow wood planks, when these were still used as common construction material. Over the years unsophisticated extensions were added, mostly using materials ferried across the river by a hand drawn raft [Afrikaans “pont”] – the only means by which one could get to this side of the river till the mid ’50s.
Features & Facilities
– A minute or so’s walk from both the fishing harbour and the river mouth.
– The cottage sleeps 6 people in comfort but can accommodate up to 8.
– Across the river, on the eastern side, there is a four mile long sandy beach, followed by a stretch of well populated snorkling rock pools; the Goukou river is negotiable by boat about 15km upstream – and the rocky coast past the harbour on our side is famous for excellent surfing and angling.
– THE BEACH LIES ACROSS THE STREET!
Closed veranda (stoep) in front, dining room, kitchen, large bathroom, two bedrooms inside.
- Double bed with a curtain for privacy, plus two stacked spare beds, that otherwise serve as a bunk, all on the veranda.
- Double Bed in main bedroom.
- Two single beds in second bedroom.
Kitchen: (Self Catering)
- Gas-stove (electric oven) and gas water heater that serves the bathroom as well
- Crockery, cutlery, basic cooking utensils, pots and pans
- Double kitchen sink
- Bath with shower
- Toilet and basin
- Washing machine
- 8-seater table
- Dish connected TV (Please bring own decoder for channels of your choice)
- Chairs, beds, tables, with a lovely view across the bay
- Wooden storm hatches can be closed to keep out the weather
- Braai (bbq) area in front
- Garden furniture
- Washing line at the back
- Refuse bins
- Public parking area 20m away – not obstructing your view!